Monday, September 20, 2004

Spidey 2...WOW!!!

So I finally saw Spiderman 2 yesterday, and all I cna say about the movie is, YES! YES! YES! The movie is FANTASTIC!!
Right from the first frame till the last, its one big thrill ride! Sam Raimi has outdone himself with this movie. But let me just make it clear that any comparision between this movie and the X-Men franchise is unjust to both of them. They are unbeatable in their own way. While the X.Men franchise is a study of society and the prejudices it levels on those that do not ift in it, Spidey 2 is all about facing up to your resposibility. With great power comes great responsibility. And add to that, the thrills. Those are the reasons I went to watch the movie, and it didn't disappoint.
The movie begins with Peter Parker struggling to juggle college, work and superhero duties. Surprisingly, it found resonance with me. I really don't know why, but when Peter Parker runs from one thing to another, I could empathise with him. Maybe it had to do with my experiences while I was working in India. I was never in time, and so I always had to rush!!
Also relate worthy was PP worrying about money. I have begun to do that lately!! And the rent issue in the movie!! Its the biggest issue in my life right now!!
One thing about I like about these superhero movies is that they manage to put in some sort of wisdom in all the unbelievable things that happen on the screen. consider, for example, the quote that with gret powers come great responsibility. And then there was a moment in the movie when Dr. Otto Octavius (soon to be the villian Doc Ock) explains to PP about intellligence being not a gift, but a talent, that needs to be nutured (at least thats how I remember it). Dumb, but really profuond for such a movie.
And I totally agree with all the critics who are praising the character of J. Jonah Jameson. He was really a good highlight of the film. Just like I remember his character from the Spiderman cartoon that I saw.
Also worth mentioning was the entire train sequence. Masterfully done, IMO. And the part when Spidey has a power relapse, and has to take an elevator to go down. Humorous.
The best part of the movie, in my opinion, was the fact that I had the same treatement as I had when I saw 'Main Hoon Na', namely, I was the only person entire threater!! Not that I ran around the cinema hall, but it feels grand that one is the only person in the cinema hall. In fact, I think that I was the only customer in the entire mall, cos after the movie (I saw the last show) when I went out, there were only two cars parked there, one mine, and the other had to be of someone working there. So it's no a bad deal, being a kind for just 30 bucks!!

No comments: