Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Coffee Odyssey...

My coffee hunt continues. The place on the Al Khor- Doha road where I drank the good coffee has lost its lusture for me. I went there again yesterday, and the coffee didn't taste so good. And it's not that I have gotten used to it. I think it's just that the coffee is not a mystery to me anymore. When I first drank it with injinuity, it tasted really good. I thought it must be some other coffee, and not the nescafe that is usually served here. But when into the restaurant the next day, I discovered that they serve it from a coffee vending machine, and that shattered my illusions. It was just another cup of coffee to me.
After returning from watching Spiderman 2, I decided to get a cup of coffee again. So I pulled up to a random mallu restaurant that look decent, and ofdered a cup of coffee. The coffe I got there was strictly by the numbers. Very predictable, could be had anywhere, with lots and lots of sugar. So far, the best coffee I had was at The Coffee Cottage in the City Center, and the coffeee I make for myself in the office.
I really put in a lot of effort for the coffee in my office. I add a drop or two of water to the mixture of sugar and coffee, and I stir it for nearly nearly 20 minutes till its color changes from dark brown to a very light shade of brown (mulatto?).
Then I add boiling water, and milk that I have specially purchased for this purpose. Regular milk, not full cream milk or double cream milk. They tend to make the coffee unduly sweet. Then beat it, don't stir it. This will make the froth rise even more. Yand Yenjoy tha caafi, saar!!!
On a separate thought, given how I make my coffee, cna I go to a cafe and ask for coffee,'shaken, not stirred'!! ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bro,
Invest in a Delonghi coffee machine (http://delonghi.125west.com/html/delonghi_coffee_makers.html) and buy coffee grounds from starbucks or a more economical Folgers coffee.