Friday, September 10, 2004

Cars....

Second post, same day. Sort of like making up for my missed day. heh.
I got my car serviced, and my free service over, it cost a bomb (before yo usay that I am being gujju again, injinuity, let me clarify that spending money on cars or motorbikes is useless, IMO. Better to learn how these gizmos work and take care of them yourself. But I am lazy, and thats another thread, another time). But I suppose I should be grateful to them, cos they told me that I had got a discount (didn't show on the bill). The car runs smoothly now.
I was without a means transport for two days, and I came ot realise the changes going on in Doha. First and foremost, the taxis are being phased out. taxis that are older than 1985 are not being renewed. As a result, the taxi drivers are going jobless. I travelled with some of these persons in a shared taxi, and they were all pretty sad. And it is sad, that the ogvernment takes away their right to earn a living in a legitimate manner, just cos it sees an opportunity to earn money itself.
The other bad news of this whole sad incidnet is that the newer taxis will costlier-minimum charge is QR 3, and it shoots up after that.
A consequence of all this is that there are lesser taxis on the road, which is bad when you have to go to office at two in the afternoon, in the sweltering heat. The private car owners seem to have become part time axi drivers. I took these for two day, and they charge WAY above the meter. (again, injinuity, I am not being gujju here, its just he principle of the matter).
Sad.
There is anotehr car story, but that is really tragic. It has the ingredients of dream, hope, missed opportunities, all the ingredients that go to make a good soap opera. It really tears my heart apart. Will post it one of these day, cos this story will employ all my literary skills to tell it. (Spoiler: its about a Beetle)

No comments: