Thursday, August 19, 2004

My Secret Is Out

I have been working here for two years, and to tell the truth, I don't know half of my office by name. Not that they ever noticed, since I hardly talk to them. But today, my deepest secret, that I hardly know them came out unintentionally. Let me explain.
At the end of the office, I needed to staple some papers, and went around asking people if they had some. One colleague, Samar, suggested that I ask 'Khaltoum'(hope I got the name right), a lady I have been saying hello to for nearly two years. And I blurted,'Who?':smacks head:
What followed was a formal introduction by Samar between the lady and I. Khaltoum was laughing aloud when she realised that I didn't know her name, and I felt like either kicking myself, or jumping out of the window.
Resolution: Must lay out of Khaltoum's sight for a few days.Can't bear to have a lady laugh in my face again.
On the other hand, do you know what 'Khaltoum' means? It means 'High Cheeks' and the lady has those. So I did manage to compliment her that she was aptly named. I wonder if she managed to hear me in between her laughs?

No comments: