Wednesday, August 04, 2004

First Day At the Gym

My first day in gym, and I cant lift my arms!! But its my fault, really. The instructor showed me some arm exercises, and told me to do 30 and left. I didn't get what he said, and ended up doing 100!! Ouch! That hurts.
My time in the gym has reaffirmed my belief that running is a better exercise than gymming. Sure, gymming gives you good muscles, but that's not what good health is all about. The machines and weights in a gym are too focused on a particular part of the body, while ignoring the rest. In contrast, activities like running and swimming tend to involved the entire body, so that the entire body benefits. Also, in these activities, its you against your own body, while in gymming, its you against the weights. I fear that later, I will become too dependent on them, and will ignore the overall body as a whole. I am now vaguely aware how the idea of dumbness of body builders came about. Lets say, I wear a nice new shirt. I look at myself in the mirror, and think its too loose at the sleeves. 'Must start doing more dumbbells,' I think to myself. And also, I start thinking more in terms of, my abs are too loose, my wrists are not in proportion to my biceps, my legs need more exercise. You don't hear a runner or a swimmer thinking in that fashion. Its just 'I run/swim, and it feels nice'. I like it that way. Will try to wake up early to include running in my routine as well.
Moving on, I have learn't how to make a really good coffee. My colleague too a sip from my coffee, and he loved it. In fact, he has switched from drinking black coffee to the one with milk because of that!!

Later: I forgotto mention the comments that Bunny left on my blog. Thanks for the reassurance, Bunny. And don't tell me you don't know who Mary-Kate and Ashley Oslen are!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I received this forward.....
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon'.
Thats a good one Isnt it?