Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Woo Hoo!!

Woo hoo!!! Today morning, I witnessed (or at least over heard a fight from my room). At around 9 in the morning, there were people in the Srivastav household (probably neighbours). I couldn't make out what they were saying, but then I heard Mrs. Srivastav saying rather loudly and forcefully about 'izzat' and something about coming to other people's house to anohter lady, followed by a loud band of the door. After thant, all morning, Mrs. Srivastav was shouting in jubilation, all over the house. I think she even call up Americas to tell this to her son and daughter-in-law. I did ont dare venture out, lest I come face to face with her.

I am listening to Coldplay quite a lot nowadays. They are quite good. In between, I switched to Simon & Garfunkle, and was in pure heaven. Now THAT'S what I call music.

A scene I witnessed in A'bad keeps coming back quite regularly for the past few days. It was at Ankur Char Rasta in the evening, right at the turning. A scooter had hit a laari, and I was clear that there was no damage to the scooter or he driver or his wife who was travelling with him.. But the laariwala was clearly dazed from the impact. The driver, on the other hand, was dragging him around, yelling that he had damaged his scooter and hitting him. The wife, on her part, kept telling the crowd that had gathered that the laariwala had hit her. The crowd just watched the scene pathetically. I couldn't watch it, so I just drove off. The scene came back to me, when I was listening to the song 'seene main jalan' from Gaman. That song put the entire scene in perspective, for me. The hapless laariwala, the obviously guilty but defiant scootrist, his wife trying to put her 'feminity' in front to score more brownie points, and last but no the least, the crowd that had gathered around, viewing and nodding their heads to all that the woman was saying. It seemed so pathetic and so surreal...and the song just brought thoase memories back.

No comments: