Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Song Appreciation

Today was a special treat on the radio today. The rj played the songe 'Raah mein rehte hain' from the film namkeen. Just yesterday, I was thinking how long it has been since I listened to this song, and how it was in many way superior to 'Musafir hoon yaaron'. And lo behold, the song plays on the radio today! I am a great believer in what Jiji says, that everyday, one of our wishes comes true, no matter how small. And I came to the conclusion that 'Musafir..' is a superior song, if only for its sheer simplicity of lyrics and music. 'Raah..' tends to be a little too complex, when Gulzar talks about 'aisa ujde aashiyaane, tinke ud gaye' and 'chal pade jo dhoop mein to, saaya ho gaye, aasma ke koi kona, odha so gaye'
Talking about music, a few days back, I was listening to 'Yeh Haseen Vaadiyan', but I didn't experience the swaying enthusiasm for it like I did when I heard it the first time around. I thought that the song had aged, that it was a victim of over exposure, that since Rahman was now capable of being non-musical at times (sun le, o jaaman/ mein hoon, paramshivam comes to mind), some of the awe that we had for him has vanished. But after listening to the entire song, my opinion was changed. No, the song is melodious as ever, for the eternity to hear and appreciate. Its I who has changed, and matured (?), become more inhibitive about my appretiations than when I was in XII th std. Now hows that for a measure- gauging your maturity or passage of time using song appretiation as an index? I think it is more accurate than using a prominent event, since a song is more personal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey deeps, I must say you have a strong memory. Sun le o jaanam..ye gods..even rahman must have forgotten that composition! I agree with you about rahman...he is a good musician, possibly a genius at some scores like Bombay and Roja, but he is also victim to mediocrity and predictability. I think his score for Yuva is highly predictable. I like the songs but am sure will not like them after, say, a year or so...
Listen to Meenaxi instead. He sounds fresh there....By the way, even I think raah mein rehte is better than musafir hoon yaaron.....If only for because of its complexity :-)...