Sunday, June 27, 2004

R.I.P. Hemant

I finally finished my project on time on Friday. But the happiness and the relief that I was expecting was not there. Reason? On Friday, I received a mail from Neelkanth, that my friend Hemant had died. He didn't say much as t ohow he had died.
Later I learnt that he had died of brain tumor.
Now, Hemant was not my friend in the same league as my v-10 friends. He was more a college pal. I remember, when I was in college, he was always bullied by the other guys in NCC. But he just wouldnt be put down. He was able to match them word for word. And be good in marching as well. Later, in TY, we were in the same class, and I learnt that he was quite an interesting guy. Intelligent, ever helpful, industrious. He was working in a newspaper printing press in addition to studying. Work in the night and attend college in te morning. But people still wanted to boss over him.
I was in MA that I wasable to know him more. I realised that he had a lot of ideas about the things around him, things that bothered him, things he wanted to change. I too has the same idea, and I remember the discussions I had with him during our breaks between the lectures. We discussed recent political events, how the infrastructure in A'bad could be inproved. And in all this, he continued to work as well as study, but now he was doing two jobs as well as MA. In the morning he worked, afternoons he was in the college, and in the evenings, he went to his second job. Only God knows he he managed it, but he did. And in all this, he found time to do errands for his friends and professors. In fact, he had plans to do a PhD in pol sci, and his profs seemed to be willing to tutor him.
But alas, this will not happen, as he is no more. He leaves behind a wife and two kids, the last on only a few months old. I first got in touch with him a few months ago, to discuss the possibility of starting a magazine with him. He seemed quite ready for it. We had discussed the possibility to starting a political/social magazine directed towards the youth, as both of us felt that the youth today was not well informed or was simply undecided. He said that he was game for it, and could even arrange the finances for it. But now, it is not possible to do it. Hemant leaves behind him, an unfulfilled life.
Its really cruel on God's part, to terminate a life like Hemant. If anyone didn't deserve to die, it was him. He had his whole life ahead of him, his family, his newborn. Heres hoping the best for his remaining family.
Rest In Peace, Hemant. And have a more pleasant reincarnation.

No comments: