Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Not alone

So finally I am not the only one looking at my blog!!! Hi Roopesh!! And where exactly did you find the sense of humor in my blog, do let me know. Or is it that all the last about the current govt has become a joke?
Anyways, moving on, I feel that my years working in India may have made me immune to the intricacies of office politics. You see, in India (at least in a'bad), it was a clear case of one upmanship, while here, there a some amount of subtlety involved. Yesterday, my boss shouted at me for failing to meet deadlines three times in a row. This was meant to be a reprimand where in, I am to shut up and listen and at the most, offer some apologies. But being groomed in the Indian office etiquette, nothing that does not involve pulling down the other person and stomping all over him qualify as a reprimand. So I failed to catch the hidden import of all his shouting. My cool attitude also seems to have confused him, and he just left, muttering 'how will it be done? How will it be done?' Was only around two hours later that it struck me that maybe my boss meant all that shouting as a way of making me pull up my socks. Hoo boy, I have a long way to go.

No comments: