Thursday, December 16, 2004

I Got US Visa!!!...

I got the US Visa today. Whoopeeee!!!

Some thoughts on it:

* The US embassy is a virtual fortress. I had to go through two metal detectors, four sheilded automatic doors that did not open and close simultaneously. I even had to colse my mobile and deposit it at the door. But in all fairness, even the American citizens that had come there had to go through the same hoops.

* The entire process took just one day. The officials were completely professional about it.

* While explaining my work to the Visa officer - that I had to work on languages primarily - I was tempted to make a Klingon joke. Resisted. Damn.

* It seems that the Indian Govt. charges the Americans visiting India an additional surcharge. So, in retaliation, I had to pay an extra 183/- riyals as reciprocal fees. 'Fair's fair', said the Visa officer. Gotta love the Americans for that.

* I had always imagined that I would find the entire process of electronic fingerprinting humiliating, but as I gave the electronic fingerprint at the embassy, I did not feel any such thing. Maybe cos we use fingerprint access system in the office, and so it has dented my feeling humiliation somewhat.

* I did get a sense of humiliation, though, when I was asked to remove the kadaa to go through the metal detector. I tried to go through wearing it, but it did not work. As I was taking off my kadaa, all the arguement that the religious organizations gave about how bad it is came back to me. I still haven't gotten over it.

* Even with all the security measures to deter people, the US visa application remains one of the most simple, IMO. The Schengan visa applications for Europe ask for all sorts of things like an insurance, a hotel accomodation, a copy of airline ticket etc. For a Canadian Visa, I have to undergo a medical test.

No comments: