Saturday, March 04, 2006

Weekends...

I went to a sitar concert by Pt. Ravi Shanker and his daughter, Anoushka at the Siri Fort auditorium. Now, normally I can't make the head or tail of classical music, be it Indian or western. To me, both are just tunes without lyrics (I blame Bollywood and Rock for this). But this evening was an eye opener. I mean, though most of the sitar recital went rught over my head, I discovered the sound of the tabla. That's some instrument, the table. It's amazing how much sound comes out of two small coconuts. And the sitar is also quite a percussionist instrument. It gives the effect of the 'wall of sound' so popularised by the Beatles. And the auditorium itself brought back memories when I had come to Delhi in 1999 to collect an award in photography. We had the award distribution there, and the memories just came flooding back. All in all, a nice evening out. It has piqued my interest in Indian classical music.

No comments: