Friday, February 19, 2010

I Izz A Superstar

During Dussera last year, we attained celebrityhood. By we, I mean my family, more specifically, me. I began to be stared at. People stopped at traffic signals to talk to me. For a person like me, who usually shies away from being the centre of attraction, it was a little too much. But I could not avoid it.


So what brought about this change? Simple. On Dussera, we got ourselves a brand new Nano!!


Ever since, I have felt like a celebrity. People stop and stare at the car on road, they come up to me and enquire about it. I get knowing smiles from complete strangers.

The excitement over the car had waned down, but people still tend to strae at it. When we first got the car during Dussera, people were more unabashed about staring at it. The would point it out in the crowd. On the first day, when we went to fill it with petrol, the station attendants swooped down on it. It was a big moment for them, as this was the first Nano to be served at their station. On Diwali day, we were chased by a Maruti 800, as the driver wanted to have a look at the car. The driver kept staring at the car instead of the road. I have gotten used to people coming over an enquring to me about the car at the petrol stations.

When I took the car to my office, the TLs wanted to have a look at it. I subsequently became the Nano guy at the office!

It been four months, but the excitement is still evident. Even as I drive it around today, I hear kids shouting 'Nano! Nano! Nano!' towards me. I have been stopped by motorcyclists on road more then once to enquire about the performance of the car (which, actually is like an underpowered Indica).

Being a Nano owner has also put me into a secret brothrehood of sorts. Fellow Nano and I share knowing smiles and we congratulate each other on our purchases.

For people aspiring for celebrityhood and narcissists (neither of which, I am), this is the perfect shortcut. For less than two lakhs, you have the world looking at you, and unlike a Rolls Royce Phantom, which will also get you attention but will make you inaccisible to people, the people we actually come up to you and enquired about the car!!


Finally, I just want to dedicate a song to my Nano...here goes




3 comments:

the-sagittarian-blogger said...

hehehehe, Nano Superstar!

Sweety.

Brajmohan Kumar said...

:))
Even I do the same. The car looks very cute on road.

Rajesh said...

@ the-saggitarian-blogger: who to mere Nano ka tara hai :-)

@brajmohan: it drives cutely too :-)