Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Rude...

Outlook runs a lead story that will no doubt put it in hot water, namely, the rudeness of the city of Delhi. Now, I am no lover of Delhi myself - I am more of a Bombay - oops, Mumbai guy. But I will have to admit, Delhi is more of a macho city than Bombay or B'lore or even Calcutta. This largely due to the Punjabi/Haryanvi culture that it inherited, and the UP/Bihari culture that is seeping in nowadays. As a result, there is a certain amount of testosterone out there in the way people deal with each other.
But really, calling Delhi a rude city is a hyperbole, in my opinion. Callous, yes, un feeling, yes, but rude, no. Not with its predominant babu culture and the bhaiya culture. People can't afford to be rude here, lest they end up offending the friend of the nephew of the son of a tuchcha politician. No sir, Delhi is not a rude place. On the contrary, it is a meethi katari.
Do bol meethe bol, har maal becho kam tol ke

2 comments:

sinusoidally said...

I haven't been to Delhi in a while now...didn't think people were that rude when I lived there.

Rajesh said...

sinusoidally, u r right, people here are not rude. Delhi has a 'babu' culture, and babudom and rudeness do not go hand in hand